Self-guided trek Alta Via 1 South
- One of the most fascinating hike in the Italian mountains: the Alta Via 1 of the Dolomites;
- The dolomite is reflected in the magnificent pools of water set between the rocky peaks: from the iconic profile of the Cinque Torri to Lake Federa, from the majestic Monte Pelmo to the surprising Lake Coldai;
- The wonder of the Ampezzo Dolomites, a World Heritage Site, within the reach of non-expert mountaineers thanks to the route that presents not high technical difficulties.
Duration 6 days
Self-guided hiking tour in the Dolomites: Alta Via 1 South
Alta Via 1 is one of the most fascinating treks in the Alps and in particular in the Dolomites, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The southern part of the Alta Via 1 in particular is less crowded and allows mountaineers to enjoy breathtaking landscapes immersed in the silence that only mountains can offer.
The southern itinerary is characterized by the presence of small, fascinating alpine lakes and the majestic blocks of dolomite of the Ampezzo Dolomites. On days of good weather, the elements of water and rock merge with the great peaks mirrored in the characteristic lakes.
The majesty of the Cinque Torri and the one-of-a-kind landscape of Croda da Lago, the unspoiled and silent nature of Monte Pelmo and the Monte Civetta group and the wild Dolomites of Moiazza, where the hiker still manages to experience a sense of adventure and exploration of the mountain, are the factors that make the southern part of Alta Via 1 unique and suitable for all mountaineers.
- Day 1
Arrival in Cortina d'Ampezzo and check-in in 3* hotel.
- Day 2 - CINQUE TORRI AND LIMIDES LAKE
Ascent: +740m. Descent: -0m. Distance: 11km. Hiking time: 5h
From Cortina d’Ampezzo we move by public transport to Passo Falzarego. The first stage of the trek begins from the Pass, where we face a not too demanding height difference between the sparse vegetation of the mid-mountain. Immediately we meet the fascinating Lake Limedes with its bucolic postcard landscape. Continuing slightly uphill we meet the Averau and Nuvolao forks, a prelude to the encounter with one of the most famous Dolomite profiles in the world: the so-called “Cinque Torri”. We continue along the gentle ups and downs of the path admiring the landscape of alpine meadows. Dinner and overnight stay in hut (2,046 m).
- Day 3 - CRODA DA LAGO AND MONTE PELMO
Ascent: +440m. Descent: -710m. Distance: 10km. Hiking time: 5h
The day begins immediately with the spectacle of Croda da Lago. Lake Federa here merges itself with the surrounding landscape and brings new emotions from every angle. Following the slightly uphill path, the contrasts between the green alpine clearings and the Dolomite peaks become harsher and more frequent with the suggestive profile of the Becco di Mezzodì and the Col della Puina, where the path continues downhill with a progressively lower altitude and below 2,000 meters above sea level. The trek continues on a slight descent with the imposing 3,000 meters of the majestic Monte Pelmo on the left. Dinner and overnight stay in hut (1,783 m).
- Day 4 - MONTE CIVETTA AND LAKE COLDAI
Ascent: +950m. Descent: -470m. Distance: 11km. Hiking time: 4h
The fourth day route is characterized by a slight uphill alternating with short ups and downs with very limited height differences. The first part of the hike is immersed in alpine vegetation, but this becomes increasingly sparser as you approach Mount Coldai. Here we find the fantastic Lake Coldai, which takes on an unmistakable turquoise color on days of good weather. Passing through the Forcelle Coldai and Col Negro, the trek continues gently and we walk with the mountain group on our left. The latter is dominated by the 3,200 meters above sea level of Monte Civetta, the last suggestive landscape of the day. Dinner and overnight in hut (2,250 m).
- Day 5 - MOIAZZA DOLOMITES
Ascent: +60m. Descent: -1640m. Distance: 14km. Hiking time: 5h
The last day of the trek sees us continue downhill in the most unexplored part of our tour: the Moiazza Dolomites. We leave keeping the Civetta group on the left, which accompanies us along our path with a succession of peaks between 2,500 and 3,000 meters above sea level. Walking towards gradually gentler landscapes, we enter the vegetation in the direction of the Mario Vazzoler Hut, surrounded by the fascinating botanical garden dedicated to Antonio Segni. Then, we continue crossing the Val delle Mede and following the path along a series of hairpin bends that lead to the Capanna Trieste Hut. The day ends by reaching the small town of Listolade, from where we move to the city of Belluno by public transport. Overnight and dinner at the hotel.
- Day 6
The program could be changed at discretion of the Campo Base Team / Mountain Guide - UIAGM based on weather conditions and forecasts, mantaining however inalterate the basic structure and the aims of the proposal.
Discover our other hiking tours on the Alps
DATES & PRICES
18.06.2022 - 18.09.2022
|€ 680,00||On request|
- 2 nights in hotel 3* - double/twin room
- 3 night in mountain hut - dormitory with shared bathroom
- Bed and Breakfast at hotel
- Half board basis at huts
- Luggage transfer
- Information file and hiking map
- 24-hour support
- City tax
- Beverage and extra
- Single room supplement EUR 40
- Private room supplement at huts EUR 15 per person per night - on request
- Solo traveller supplement EUR 70
- Transfer by public bus (day 2 and day 5)
- Sleeping bag liner - on request EUR 15
- Traveler and cancellation's insurance
- Everything not mentioned
The reservation request is considered a binding agreement. Availability of all services will be checked by our staff, who will provide confirmation by email within 48 working hours.
If there is no availability on the selected dates, the option will be as follows:
- To use the deposit to book another trip
- To choose alternative dates
- To cancel the trip with full refund of the deposit
All services will be confirmed only after having received a 30% deposit (or the full cost in case of “last minute” bookings) of the vacation.
Balance payment is due 21 days before the trip.
We accept the following payment methods: Bank transfer or credit card (Mastercard/ Visa).
In case of cancellation the following terms & conditions will be applied:
- 30% of the total price of the trip for cancellations communicated up to 45 days prior to the trip start date
- 70% of the total price of the trip for cancellations communicated from 44 to 30 days prior to the trip start date
- No refund beyond these terms
- Trekking poles
- Bottles for water
- Light cap or bandana
- Shirts or T-shirts
- Fleece jacket
- Waterproof and windproof jacket
- Rainwear: waterproof jacket + pants or a cloak or a poncho
- Hiking trousers
- Hiking boots (suggested hiking boots in Gore-Tex)
Personal hygiene items
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer
- Sleeping bag liner + blanket or summer sleeping bag
- Shower gel/soap, shampoo etc.
- Sunscreen with appropriate UV protection level
- Lip balm with UV protection
- First aid kit (important: adhesive bandage)
- Mobile phone and a charger
- Torch headband
- Euros in cash – credit cards are not accepted in mountain huts
- Whistle for emergency
…FURTHER RECCOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
- Thermal underwear (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light gloves (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light snack
- Power bank for your mobile phone
REQUIRED TRAVELLING DOCUMENTS
- Identification document/ Passport
- Campo Base Voucher