Hiking trip on Pale di San Martino
- Walk among the landmarks of Paneveggio Park enjoying amazing sceneries on the largest mountain range of the Dolomites
- Explore the majestic Pale plateau: 50 square kilometres of pure lunar-looking rocky desert
- Choose a comfortable hiking tour with overnight stay in private room 4 nights out of 5 and on request luggage transfer for your heaviest bags from one hut to the other
Duration 6 days
Self-guided hiking tour in the Dolomites: Pale di San Martino
A self-guided hiking tour in the Dolomites that from Valles Pass leads to the discovery of the most enchanting and characteristic landscapes of Paneveggio Nature Park: the pastures of Val Venegia, the small hut Malga Segantini at the foot of Cimon dela Pala, the Dolomites’ Matterhorn and the Colbricon's lakes, until the vast dolomitic plateau of Pale di San Martino.
Where once there used to be the second largest glacier in the Dolomites, now you will find yourself immersed in a vast rocky desert at 2500 meters.
A hiking tour with completely unexpected sceneries combined with the convenience of sleeping in comfortable private rooms in the first two huts of the itinerary. On request luggage transfer is available: find your heaviest luggage directly in every hut, and enjoy the daily hikes with light backpacks.
- Day 1
Arrival in San Martino di Castrozza and check-in in hotel 3*.
- Day 2 - LAKE JURIBRUTTO
Ascent: +470m. Descent: -470m. Distance: 8km. Hiking time: 3h30.
Private transfer to the Alpine pass located on the boarder between Trentino and Veneto. The hike begins to the discovery of Catena di Bocche, a mountain range composed of porphyry-volcanic rock that on wide flowery slopes leads to the picturesque Lake Juribrutto (2.206 m), which overlooks the unmistakable spires of Pale di San Martino. Dinner and overnight stay in hut (2.031m).
- Day 3 - VAL VENEGIA
Ascent: +550m. Descent: -510m. Distance: 8km. Hiking time: 4h.
On harping trail you reach a wide lawn (2.217 m) and with moderate downhill slope you skirt the grassy hillsides at the foot of the imposing western wall of Mount Mulaz. From Val Venegia the itinerary continues along the springs of Travignolo to then arrive in front of one of the most suggestive and evocative dolomitic landscapes: the reflection in the lake of Baita Segantini at the foot of the imposing Cimon de Pala – also known as the Matterhorn of the Dolomites. Dinner and overnight stay in hut (2.082 m).
- Day 4 - COLBRICON'S LAKES
Ascent: +350m. Descent: -950m. Distance: 10km. Hiking time: 5h30.
Today you enter the eastern end of the porphyry mountain range of Lagorai walking along the western slopes of Cavallazza Piccola to then reach with a steep final stretch Cavallazza peak (2.324 m), where are still visible the remains of trenches dating back to the Great War. From the summit on gravel terrain you reach the small lakes of Colbricon and the homonymous hut (1.927 m) to then proceed towards the village of San Martino di Castrozza. From the village you go up at 2.500 m by lifts, to then find yourself immersed in a boundless rock tableland with a lunar appearance that with its hollows occupies a surface of 50 square kilometers. Dinner and overnight stay in hut (2.581 m).
- Day 5 - PALE DI SAN MARTINO PLATEAU
Ascent: +520m. Descent: -470m. Distance: 10km. Hiking time: 5h30
Crossing the dolomitic plateau with moderate ups and downs you reach the last extremities of what was once the second largest glacier in the Dolomites. Walking on the wide detrital ridge the trail leads to the summit of Fradusta (2.939 m) from where you can enjoy an incomparable panorama that on sunny days spaces from the Austrian Alps to the distant Adriatic Sea. Return to the hut and descent by lifts to San Martino di Castrozza. Dinner and overnight stay in hotel.
- Day 6
The program could be changed at discretion of the Campo Base Team / Mountain Guide - UIAGM based on weather conditions and forecasts, mantaining however inalterate the basic structure and the aims of the proposal.
Discover our other hiking tours on the Alps
DATES & PRICES
- 2 nights in hotel 3* - double/twin room (reduction 3°/4° bed - EUR 30)
- 2 nights in mountain huts - private room with shared bathroom
- 1 night in mountain hut - dormitory with shared bathroom
- Half board basis
- Private transfer (day 2)
- Information file and hiking map
- 24-hour support
- City tax
- Beverage and extra
- Single room supplement ( 2 nights in hotel and 2 nights in huts ) - EUR 60
- Lifts (day 4 and day 5) - about EUR 25 per person
- Luggage transfer (from 2 to 8 bags) - EUR 125 in total
- Sleeping bag liner - on request EUR 15
- Traveler and cancellation's insurance
- Everything not mentioned
The experience will be confirmed or not by our staff within 2 working days in order to check the availability of all services. Afterwards, if the availability will be confirmed, for the final and bounding confirmation you will need to send a deposit of 30% of the total amount + € 20 booking fee. Please settle the total amount by 30 days before arriving.
Whether the reservation was not confirmed for the requested period, we will provide you with alternative dates – you will decide whether taking them or not. In the ladder case you can ask for a deposit refund.
Preferred methods: Bank transfer – Credit card (Visa/Mastercard)
In case of cancellation the following terms & conditions will be applied:
- 30% of the total amount + booking fee will be deducted when cancelling up to 45 days before arriving
- 70% of the total amount + booking fee will be deducted when cancelling from 44 up to 30 days before arriving
- No refund when cancelling less than 29 days before arriving
- Trekking poles
- Bottles for water
- Light cap or bandana
- Shirts or T-shirts
- Fleece jacket
- Waterproof and windproof jacket
- Rainwear: waterproof jacket + pants or a cloak or a poncho
- Hiking trousers
- Hiking boots (suggested hiking boots in Gore-Tex)
Personal hygiene items
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer
- Sleeping bag liner + blanket or summer sleeping bag
- Shower gel/soap, shampoo etc.
- Sunscreen with appropriate UV protection level
- Lip balm with UV protection
- First aid kit (important: adhesive bandage)
- Mobile phone and a charger
- Torch headband
- Euros in cash – credit cards are not accepted in mountain huts
- Whistle for emergency
…FURTHER RECCOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
- Thermal underwear (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light gloves (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light snack
- Power bank for your mobile phone
REQUIRED TRAVELLING DOCUMENTS
- Identification document/ Passport
- Campo Base Voucher