A volcano of snow - ski mountaineering on mount Etna!
- Ski mountaineering on Mount Etna, the highest and biggest active volcano in Europe
- The great crossing from south to north via the North East Crater, the Pizzi de' Neri Pick and the Grotta del Gelo
- The Mediterranean atmosphere, the mild climate and the fragrance of Sicily
Duration 4 days
Skiing on the highest (3343 m a.s.l.) and biggest (20 km in radius) active volcano in Europe with a view over the sea, is an experience that you will never forget.
The foothills of mount Etna, with its perfect snow and firn, is full of many easy snow trails for ski mountaineering to some steep canyons for the more experienced skiers.
The great crossing from south to north via the North East Crater, the Pizzi de' Neri Pick and the Grotta del Gelo will be the main goals of our extraordinary ski mountaineering journey in Sicily.
The Mediterranean atmosphere, the mild climate the fragrances of Sicily the warm and friendly Sicilian hospitality and the flavour of a genuine and traditional cuisine will make your stay in Sicily unique!!
- DAY 1: CATANIA AIRPORT: in the evening, meeting with Campo Base Team and mountain guides - UIAGM transfer and accommodation in B&B at foothills of Etna
- DAY 2: ETNA: ski mountaineering excursion from Rifugio Citelli to Pizzi Deneri Pick
- DAY 3: ETNA: great crossing from south to north via the North East Crater
- DAY 4: ski mountaineering excursion at the Grotta del Gelo - departures for various destinations
It is possible make a program in 3 days/2 nights
- 3 night stay in a B&B - double/triple rooms
- 3 days accompanied by Mountain Guides UIAGM / that speak English
- 1 day Volcanological Guide
- All transfers in Sicily
- Assistance from Campo Base and its team for the whole week
- Flight - request our best quote!
- Skipass if needed
- Medical and luggage insurance
- Management practice fee: € 20,00
- Everything else that is not mentioned in Included services
According to the weather forecasts and snow conditions, some other excursions could be: Rocca della Valle (2.738 m a.s.l.); Punta S. Lucia (2924m a.s.l.); l’Osservatorio Etneo (2818m a.s.l.)
The program could be changed the discretion of the Campo Base Team / Mountain Guide - UIAGM based on weather conditions and snow levels, mantaining however inalterate the basic structure and the aims of the proposal.
- Aeroporto di Catania Fontanarossa - Thursday evening
Difficulty and technical preparation
- Gradient - 800 / 1100 daily
- Maximum altitude reached: 3250 m
- Daily commitment - 6 hours
Equipment and clothing required
- Skis and ski boots
- Arva, spade and probe
- Ski sealskins
- Technical winter clothing
- Gloves and cap
…further recommended equipment
- Backpack and water bottle
- Sun cream and sunglasses
All equipment can be hired - just contact Campo Base.
Required travelling documents
- Identification document
- Campo Base Voucher