Self-guided trek staying in mountain dairy and hut in Stelvio National Park
- Discover the alpine traditions related to the world of alpine pasture in the Stelvio National Park: the care of the territory, cows' milking and milk processing, life in close contact with animals and the genuineness of products at km0
- Enjoy the experience of sleeping a night in the mountain hut to live the most intimate mountain atmosphere
- Choose a comfortable hiking tour with overnight stay in private room 3 nights out of 4
Duration 6 days
Self-guided hiking tours in the Alps: staying in alpine dairy and mountain hut in Stelvio National Park
This is a beautiful hiking tour that combines the custom of the peasant world, the traditional hospitality of Trentino, a good alpine cuisine with its flavors and the sound of nature in the largest protected area of the Alps.
This is the ideal self-guided tour in the Alps to discover the harmonious fusion of nature and alpine traditions in the heart of Stelvio National Park.
We are in Val di Rabbi, small alpine valley crowned by the peaks of Ortler Cevedale, where still persists the custom of alpine pastures. This old tradition consists in the transhumance of cattle, which in summer moves from the valley to the grazing up in the mountains with the purpose of making the most out of the mountain’s forage resources.
Among suspension bridges and sparkling waterfalls, this itinerary leads across some typical wooden and stone constructions, the so-called ‘Malga’ (mountain dairy). There are different types of them: from those dedicated exclusively to animal shelter and to the production of delicious cheeses to those which offer the possibility to enjoy a good Trentino dish. And again from the disused mountain dairies to the recently renovated one with cozy private rooms that will offer you the experience of spending some really special nights under starry skies.
Once immersed in the alpine atmosphere, you can not miss the experience of sleeping in a real mountain hut, where you can share with fellow hikers and mountaineers the pure essence of the Alps!
- Day 1
Arrival in Val di Sole and check-in in 3* hotel.
- Day 2 - VAL MALEDA
Ascent: +1065m. Descent: -225m. Distance: 7,8km. Hiking time: 4h45 (alternatively a less scenic but shorter itinerary is available. Ascent 875m. Distance 6,5km. Hiking time 3h45)
Once reached Val di Rabbi, the itinerary begins on a forest road which soon leads to the Tibetan bridge: an amusing 100-meter passage suspended above the waterfalls of Rio Ragaiolo. Arrived on the opposite side, the trail continues surrounded by forest until the first mountain dairy, ideal spot for a refreshing break cheered by the sound of cowbells grazing in the pasture – and if you have managed to wake up early you could still be in time for the milk processing! After a good recharge, walk between beautiful meadows to the old Mlaga Fratte Alta, enjoying long views over the valley and the snowy peaks of Sternai. After crossing a bridge to reach the opposite side of the valley, less than 2km are missing to reach the alpine dairy. Dinner and overnight stay in mountain dairy (2.060 m).
- DAY 3 - BAITO FASSOLE
Ascent: +400m. Descent: -400m. Distance: 6km. Hiking time: 3h
A funny morning awaits you, watching the traditional milk processing. After a good breakfast, your itinerary to Baito Fassolle starts. Here you will find an ephemeral lake that may be dry or full of fresh water depending on the trend of the season. The ring trail brings you to Malghetto Forborida first for then heading back to the alpine dairy. Dinner and overnight stay in mountain dairy (2.060 m).
- Day 4 - VAL SAENT
Ascent: +400m. Descent: -30m. Distance: 8km. Hiking time: 4h
Today waking up at first lights is a must! After an energic breakfast with products at km 0, you must be ready to watch the milk processing before heading to the next alpine hut. With a gradual ascent the trail skirts the coast of the mountain overlooking Val Saent and passing through vast grassy slopes and clear waterways it reaches a wide hollow at the foot of Ortler Cevedale. Dinner and overnight stay in hut (2.437m).
- Day 5 - SAENT WATERFALLS
Ascent: +0m. Descent: -920m. Distance: 6km. Hiking time: 3h30
A pleasant and panoramic descent surrounded by agile marmots and rhododendron flowers. After the wide expanse of the Pra di Saent the path leads between bridges and water games of the Saent Waterfalls, the most majestic of the Val di Sole. The hut, which is located at the end of the hike, will be an excellent and tasty conclusion to this first part of the hike, before going back to the hotel.
- Day 6
The program could be changed at discretion of the Campo Base Team / Mountain Guide - UIAGM based on weather conditions and forecasts, mantaining however inalterate the basic structure and the aims of the proposal.
Discover our other hiking tours on the Alps
DATES & PRICES
17.06.2023 - 17.09.2023
|€ 520,00||On request|
- 2 nights in hotel 3* - double/twin room (reduction 3°/4° bed - EUR 40)
- 2 nights in mountain dairy - private room with private bathroom
- 1 night in mountain hut - dormitory with shared bathroom
- Half board basis
- Information file and hiking map
- 24-hour support
- City tax at the hotel
- Beverages and extra
- Single room supplement in hotel EUR 40
- Transfer by public bus (day 2 and day 5) - about EUR 10 per person
- Sleeping bag liner - on request EUR 15
- Traveler and cancellation's insurance
- Everything not mentioned
The reservation request is considered a binding agreement. Availability of all services will be checked by our staff, who will provide confirmation by email within 48 working hours.
If there is no availability on the selected dates, the option will be as follows:
- To use the deposit to book another trip
- To choose alternative dates
- To cancel the trip with full refund of the deposit
All services will be confirmed only after having received a 30% deposit (or the full cost in case of “last minute” bookings) of the vacation.
Balance payment is due 21 days before the trip.
We accept the following payment methods: Bank transfer or credit card (Mastercard/ Visa).
In case of cancellation the following terms & conditions will be applied:
- 30% of the total price of the trip for cancellations communicated up to 45 days prior to the trip start date
- 70% of the total price of the trip for cancellations communicated from 44 to 30 days prior to the trip start date
- No refund beyond these terms
- Trekking poles
- Bottles for water
- Light cap or bandana
- Shirts or T-shirts
- Fleece jacket
- Waterproof and windproof jacket
- Rainwear: waterproof jacket + pants or a cloak or a poncho
- Hiking trousers
- Hiking boots (suggested hiking boots in Gore-Tex)
Personal hygiene items
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer
- Sleeping bag liner + blanket or summer sleeping bag
- Shower gel/soap, shampoo etc.
- Sunscreen with appropriate UV protection level
- Lip balm with UV protection
- First aid kit (important: adhesive bandage)
- Mobile phone and a charger
- Torch headband
- Euros in cash – credit cards are not accepted in mountain huts
- Whistle for emergency
…FURTHER RECCOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
- Thermal underwear (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light gloves (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light snack
- Power bank for your mobile phone
REQUIRED TRAVELLING DOCUMENTS
- Identification document/ Passport
- Campo Base Voucher