Self guided trek among the landmarks of Alta Via 1 of the Dolomites
- Discover one of the best hiking trips in the Dolomites and in the world: the Alta Via 1
- Mirror yourself in the emerald waters of Lake Braies, an alpine lake nestled among beautiful dolomitic walls
- Relax and immerse yourself in the wonders of the Dolomites, a UNESCO World Heritage site
Duration 6 days
Self-guided hiking tour in the Dolomites: Alta Via 1
Alta Via 1 is a self-guided hiking tour in the heart of the Dolomites. Nestled between the mountains, we find Lake Braies: here begins the itinerary that will take you to the foot of Cinque Torri crossing various landmarks of the Dolomites.
This is one of the most charming hiking itineraries of the Dolomites, many are the highlights you will encounter along the way. You will pass through the Fanes-Sennes-Braies National Park, one of the largest protected areas in South Tyrol, then meet the Lagazuoi, which is very important at an historical level, to then reach the Cinque Torri massif.
The hiking tour starts and finishes in Cortina d’Ampezzo and requires four entire days. You will sleep in comfortable mountain huts; some of them have been recently renovated.
This hiking trail in the Dolomites is also suitable for families with children with a good physical shap (a minimum age of 10 years is suggested).
- Day 1
Arrival in Cortina d'Ampezzo and check-in in 3* hotel.
- Day 2 - LAKE BRAIES
Ascent: +960m. Descent: -300m. Distance: 10km. Hiking time: 5h
From the bus stop take the paved road and walk to the opposite side of the lake, where a deep trail starts and will lead you to the first hut. The walk develops first through the tree belt and then reach the alpine meadows at the altitude of 2.000-3.000 meters. Optional hikes: uphill hike to the Croda del Becco, where you can admire a 360-degree view of the Sennes plateau. Or alternatively, the hike to the Muntejela di Sennes. Dinner and overnight stay in hut.
- Day 3 - FANES-SENNES-BRAIES NATURAL PARK
Ascent: +550m. Descent: -650m. Distance: 11km. Hiking time: 4h
This leg takes you through the 25.680 hectares of Fanes-Sennes-Braies National Park. You will be surrounded by various landscape: pastures, meadows full of flowers and herbs, colors, waterfalls and wildlife. From the hut the trail heads south crossing wide meadows until it reaches a small hut where a short break is possible. After admiring the surrounding mountains, the trail rises passing through the idyllic landscape known as Alpe di Fanes. Dinner and overnight stay in hut.
- Day 4 - LAGAZUOI
Ascent: +1050m. Descent: -440m. Distance: 13km. Hiking time: 6h
Today’s itinerary 4 is remarkable both from a natural and historical point of view. Leaving the hut in the hearth of the Natural Park you go up to Forcella del Lago, from where you have a beautiful glimpse on Lake Lagazuoi. The lake, born by the underground springs, is located at an altitude of 2.182 m. After a small rest, the trail rises again towards, Lagazuoi one of the most panoramic areas. During the First World War the Lagazuoi massif has been transformed into a fortress and still is a real rock castle. The hut offers a unique terrace overlooking the Dolomites. Dinner and overnight stay in hut.
- Day 5 - FIVE TOWERS
Ascent: +640m. Descent: -1100m. Distance: 12km. Hiking time: 5h
After enjoying a spectacular sunrise on top of the mountains is time to leave this landscape behind. The descent to Passo Falzarego can be done either by lift or foot (about 1h 15m). From the pass the trail rises gently until Lake Limides, a mass of water which collects rains in summer and snow and ice in winter. The climb continues passing through Forcella Averau and Nuvolau to then descent to Cinque Torri Massif. From this point you can admire a 360-degree view. The trek ends in Passo Giau where by bus you will return to your basecamp hotel in Cortina.
- DAY 6
The program could be changed at discretion of the Campo Base Team / Mountain Guide - UIAGM based on weather conditions and forecasts, mantaining however inalterate the basic structure and the aims of the proposal.
Discover our other hiking tours on the Alps
DATES & PRICES
11.06.2023 - 08.10.2023
|€ 830,00||Book now|
- 2 nights in hotel 3* - double/twin room
- 3 night in mountain hut - dormitory with shared bathroom
- Bed and Breakfast at hotel
- Half board basis at huts
- Information file and hiking map
- 24-hour support
- City tax
- Beverage and extra
- Single room supplement EUR 60
- Private room supplement at huts EUR 20 per person per night - on request
- Transfer by public bus (day 2 and day 5) - from September 9 to October 8 there is no public transportation, in this period eventual private transfers are also an excluded service
- Lifts (day 4)
- Sleeping bag liner - on request EUR 15
- Traveler and cancellation's insurance
- Everything not mentioned
The reservation request is considered a binding agreement. Availability of all services will be checked by our staff, who will provide confirmation by email within 48 working hours.
If there is no availability on the selected dates, the option will be as follows:
- To use the deposit to book another trip
- To choose alternative dates
- To cancel the trip with full refund of the deposit
All services will be confirmed only after having received a 30% deposit (or the full cost in case of “last minute” bookings) of the vacation.
Balance payment is due 21 days before the trip.
We accept the following payment methods: Bank transfer or credit card (Mastercard/ Visa).
In case of cancellation the following terms & conditions will be applied:
- 30% of the total price of the trip for cancellations communicated up to 45 days prior to the trip start date
- 70% of the total price of the trip for cancellations communicated from 44 to 30 days prior to the trip start date
- No refund beyond these terms
- Trekking poles
- Bottles for water
- Light cap or bandana
- Shirts or T-shirts
- Fleece jacket
- Waterproof and windproof jacket
- Rainwear: waterproof jacket + pants or a cloak or a poncho
- Hiking trousers
- Hiking boots (suggested hiking boots in Gore-Tex)
Personal hygiene items
- Face mask
- Hand sanitizer
- Sleeping bag liner + blanket or summer sleeping bag
- Shower gel/soap, shampoo etc.
- Sunscreen with appropriate UV protection level
- Lip balm with UV protection
- First aid kit (important: adhesive bandage)
- Mobile phone and a charger
- Torch headband
- Euros in cash – credit cards are not accepted in mountain huts
- Whistle for emergency
…FURTHER RECCOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
- Thermal underwear (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light gloves (in cold periods, and based on personal preferences)
- Light snack
- Power bank for your mobile phone
REQUIRED TRAVELLING DOCUMENTS
- Identification document/ Passport
- Campo Base Voucher