A volcano of snow - Ski mountaineering on Mount Etna
- Ski mountaineering on Mount Etna, the highest and biggest active volcano in Europe
- The great crossing from south to north via the North East Crater, the Pizzi de' Neri Pick and the Grotta del Gelo
- The Mediterranean atmosphere, the mild climate and the fragrance of Sicily
Duration 4 days
Skiing on the highest (3343 m a.s.l.) and biggest (20 km in radius) active volcano in Europe with a view over the sea, is an experience that you will never forget.
The foothills of mount Etna, with its perfect snow and firn, is full of many easy snow trails for ski mountaineering to some steep canyons for the more experienced skiers.
The great crossing from south to north via the North East Crater, the Pizzi de' Neri Pick and the Grotta del Gelo will be the main goals of our extraordinary ski mountaineering journey in Sicily.
The Mediterranean atmosphere, the mild climate the fragrances of Sicily the warm and friendly Sicilian hospitality and the flavour of a genuine and traditional cuisine will make your stay in Sicily unique!!
- DAY 1: CATANIA AIRPORT: in the evening, meeting with Campo Base Team and mountain guides - UIAGM transfer and accommodation in B&B at foothills of Etna
- DAY 2: ETNA: ski mountaineering excursion from Rifugio Citelli to Pizzi Deneri Pick
- DAY 3: ETNA: great crossing from south to north via the North East Crater
- DAY 4: ski mountaineering excursion at the Grotta del Gelo - departures for various destinations
According to the weather forecasts and snow conditions, some other excursions could be: Rocca della Valle (2.738 m a.s.l.); Punta S. Lucia (2924m a.s.l.); l’Osservatorio Etneo (2818m a.s.l.)
The program could be changed at discretion of Campo Base Team / Mountain Guide - UIAGM based on weather conditions and snow levels, mantaining however inalterate the basic structure and the aims of the proposal.
Check out our offer of ski mountaineering tours
DATES & PRICES
It is possible to do the program in 3 days/2 nights
- 3 nights in B&B - double/triple rooms
- 3 days with UIAGM local Guide - English speaking
- 1 day with Volcanological Guide - English speaking
- All transfers in Sicily
- Instructions and assistance with logistics
- 24-hour support
- City tax
- Beverages and extra
- Flight - request our best quote!
- Skipass if needed
- Traveler and cancellation's insurance
- Everything not mentioned
- Water bottle
- Skis and ski boots
- Arva, spade and probe
- Ski sealskins
- Gloves and cap
- Shirts or T-shirts
- Fleece jacket
- Waterproof and windproof jacket
- Warm jacket
- Warm pants
- Thermal underwear
Personal Hygiene Items
- Face Mask
- Hand sanitizer
- Soap, shampoo, etc.
- Sleeping bag
- Sunscreen with appropriate UV protection level
- Lip balm with UV protection
- Mobile phone and a charger
…FURTHER RECCOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
- First aid kit
- Light snack
- Power bank for your mobile phone
REQUIRED TRAVELLING DOCUMENTS
- Identification document/ Passport
- Campo Base Voucher